History of Double K Farms (known as Mitcham Farm)
This farm has been in operation through five generations—well over one hundred years. Although farming and agriculture have changed, Double K Farms supports the preservation of agriculture resources for future generations.
Back in 1884 our great-great-grandfather, Henry James Boggus located in Newton County on 180 acres with his wife, Molly. Henry served in the War Between the States. His son Thomas Grover Boggus lived on this farm and followed a plan to making his farm self-sustaining. The farm was well adapted to the production of food and feed crops, as well as cotton.
During the 1920's great-grandfather Boggus had pure Barbed Rock chickens, a small herd of hogs and Jersey cattle. He sold enough butter, eggs, sausage, cowpeas, corn and other products to pay for all supplies needed for running the farm.
Now the farm is owned and operated by Tommy Mitcham (great-grandson of Henry James Boggus) and his two sons Kevin and Keith. In October, 2000, Double K Farms was recognized as a Centennial Family Farm by the State of Georgia for its contribution to Georgia's agriculture heritage.
Myron Boggus Mitcham (Kevin and Keith's grandmother) lived to be 96 and spent her life here on the farm.
The Mitcham Family has grown strawberries since 2006-selling to schools, hospitals, supermarkets, and roadside markets. The farm also welcomes visitors to pick their own berries fresh from the fields. Summer vegetables are also available. The pumpkin patch and corn maze have been been open since 2002.